Thursday, May 19, 2011

Module 2 - Chapter 8...

I definitely understand the leaps of fear, although sometimes in my experience they were like leaps of some invisible slave driver, one that meted out "you're supposed to be doing this, now mush...".  But I definitely felt like a lot of the things I did I did because I "had to" as a result of someone else's expectations rather than a desire, trembling or not.

It's funny, how I look back at my "dreams" for my mid to late teens and how many of my choices seem to echo what Lissa has been through.  Partially into high school I realized that while I "wanted" (eg was expected) to go to college after high school I didn't know what it was I wanted to do.  I got approached, due to one of my class choices, to go to nursing school but I rebelled against that wildly saying I wanted more than that, I wanted to be a doctor or something.  I can remember clearly that one day in class my teacher - a former nurse - said that I would have loved the health expo the class had gone to the day before, especially the pathologist, because I was so inquisitive.  (I had missed it because I had track practice and needed to be there.)  I idly looked up what a pathologist did and just like that decided that was what I wanted to be.  I used to joke that that was the only thing I could do in healthcare because "I had a terrible bedside manner" (which isn't really true) and that "if you ended up on my table you were already dead, so I couldn't make mistakes".  But mostly I think I chose that because it seemed to satisfy a curiosity I had and was "safe"...(the estimation of a six figure salary didn't hurt either).  But one crucial thing in this life I was painting up in my head that I thought I would have was that there was no time for me to be me.  I had no husband or children, I didn't consider time with friends or vacations or anything but work.  I didn't realize that at the time, but I see now at 25...super pregnant...that I didn't make time for me.

What a ridiculous thing to do...




Embracing my dreams one day at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment